by Heather Knowles
COVID-19 is overwhelming, and it is growing with leaps and bounds daily. So much so that our local stores are running out of cleaning supplies that make us feel as if we are doing something to keep this dangerous virus at bay. But never fear! We can make some cleaning supplies of our own at home that will be less expensive, last longer, and be more effective than those supplies that we can find in stores.
Remember to always clean surfaces before you disinfect them. This will make the killing of the germs on the surface that much more effective. And there are specific surfaces that you will want to pay special mind to, such as tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
Here is a quick and easy recipe for disinfecting solution that will kill bacteria as well as the coronavirus or COVID-19 made out of household bleach. To make a bleach solution, mix:
• 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water
• 4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water
Follow manufacturer’s instructions for application and proper ventilation. Check to ensure the product is not past its expiration date. Never mix household bleach with ammonia or any other cleanser. Unexpired household bleach will be effective against coronaviruses when properly diluted.
If you are cleaning laundry from a person who is ill from COVID-19, or the coronavirus, use gloves when possible, and wash the items on the warmest setting possible before drying completely. You do not need to separate the items from a person who is ill from another person as long as appropriate care is taken when cleaning them.
We also have a homemade version of antibacterial hand sanitizer that can help when you are not able to immediately wash your hands. Remember, hand washing for twenty seconds or longer is best!
• 2 ounces container bottle
• 5 drops vitamin E oil (optional, this makes for soft hands!)
• 3 tablespoons witch hazel with aloe vera, vodka, or 190 proof grain alcohol (Everclear), see notes
• 5 drops lemon essential oil
• 5 drops orange essential oil
• 5 drops tea tree essential oil
• Distilled (or at least filtered, boiled, and cooled) water
1. In the container bottle, combine the vitamin E oil, witch hazel, vodka or grain alcohol, and essential oils. Replace the top on tightly and shake well for 15-20 seconds to combine.
2. Open the bottle, and fill to the top with the distilled water. Put the top on and shake again for 15-20 seconds. Done!
3. Spread liberally on your hands whenever you feel like they need a bit of a deep clean. Rub hands together until dry.
If you can find hand sanitizer in the stores, make sure it is at least 60% alcohol. But hand washing is still the queen. Or king. And you can rid yourself of even more germs by using paper towels to dry your hands.
Stay safe everyone!